Mold can be beneficial, as it is useful in making penicillin and brie. It is also essential for the decomposition of organic matter in nature. Yet, it can be highly dangerous, particularly when it grows undetected in your house.
Molds naturally occur as a result of humid environments, and in your home, you will most likely find molds in places that are usually exposed to moisture. However, that does not mean you should share your house with them, as leaving mold without treatment can result in toxic respiratory illnesses. It can also make asthma and allergies worse.
Hence, the ability of molds to grow rapidly and their negative impact on health is the reason you should watch out and prevent their growth before it spreads.
Mold removal in the house is a challenging problem. Therefore, this article is set to inform you on how you can prevent and remove mold in your home.
Although it is quite infeasible to entirely mold-proof your home, you can make it resistant to mold. This can be achieved by carrying out an audit of your home and examining where the problem parts are, whether there is usually frequent condensation on an upstairs window, a water stain on a ceiling from consistent leakage, and whether the basement floods.
Preventing the growth or spread of mold could be as easy as repairing damaged gutters, installing mold-resistant products, ripping up carpet in a damp basement, or a major excavation with waterproofing. Irrespective of what the matter is, it needs to be addressed first, and although it may be quite expensive initially, it will be more expensive later on if mold keeps on growing unchecked.
Mold cannot develop in the absence of moisture. Hence, you should always tackle wet areas immediately. That is, accumulation from a leaky pipe, seepage into the basement after heavy rainfall, and even a spill on the carpet should be dried within 24 to 48 hours.
If you have once experienced a flood, you should get rid of water-damaged furniture, bedding, and carpets, if you notice they cannot be entirely dried. Note that the daily occurrences also need attention, as you should avoid leaving wet items lying around the house.
Additionally, you should also ensure you dry the walls and floor after every shower, and make sure you do not abandon wet clothes in the washing machine where mold can easily spread. Instead, you should hang them to dry, either outside or in any area with good air conditioning.
Your routine domestic activities may be encouraging the growth of mold in your home. Thus, you should ensure that an activity as simple as preparing dinner, doing laundry, or taking a shower does not beckon on mold by allowing adequate ventilation in all areas of your home, particularly in high-moisture areas such as the laundry room, kitchen, and bathroom, among others.
Likewise, endeavor to vent to the outside (not the attic), those appliances that produce moisture, like stoves and clothes dryers. Moreover, make use of dehumidifiers (particularly in humid climates) and AC units, while ensuring that they do not produce moisture by themselves through occasional checking and cleaning as required.
In addition, bear in mind that your energy-efficient home may be holding moisture inside. So, you should run an exhaust fan or open a window while showering, washing dishes, or cooking.
It doesn’t matter whether you are constructing a new home or not, mold-resistant products such as mold-resistant drywall are an option you should consider.
Traditional drywall is made up of a gypsum plaster core pressed between paper plies. Mold-resistant drywall is paperless, as fiberglass is what covers the gypsum core, thereby making the surface resistant to water.
Likewise, moisture-resistant drywall is more valued in places that are prone to wetness, like basements, bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms. Traditional drywall is not only more susceptible to mold than the paperless type, but it is also hard to get rid of mold. Besides, removal and replacement can be costly.
Furthermore, a mold-resistant gypsum board can be found, with the core of the drywall being developed in a way that can hinder moisture absorption, ultimately preventing the growth of mold.
The indoor humidity has been recommended to be between 30 and 50%. Meanwhile, humidity can be measured through a moisture meter obtained from your local hardware store. You will also be able to observe high humidity by paying attention to possible problem areas in your home.
Signs of high humidity include condensation on walls, windows, and pipes. Therefore, whenever you notice condensation, endeavor to get the surface dried immediately and see to the moisture source. One of the ways you can address a moisture source is by turning off a humidifier if water shows up on the inside of nearby windows.
Certain areas of your home should be cleaned with mold-killing products. Natural mold removal remedies are a great way to kill mold at home. This is because they are safe for your family, pets, as well as the environment at large. They are also cheaper than commercial products. Those natural mold-killing products include tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, baking soda, citrus seed extract, etc.
Bear in mind that regarding the prevention of mold, there is no one-size-fits-all remedy. Hence, it is essential that you educate yourself on the climate of your region and its response to moisture, whether the cold and wet Northeast, the cold and dry West, the hot and dry Southwest, or the hot and wet South.
The knowledge of your climate and your home is a crucial first step in how you can successfully get rid of mold in your home.