Contrary to popular belief, you don’t always have to be rich to like a lavish lifestyle. If you are willing to think outside of the box, there are little things you can do in your home to facilitate living like a king or a queen. One of those things is turning your bathtub into an at-home spa. It works even better if you have a separate room you can convert.
A home spa would most likely be set in your bathroom. It’s an area that is specifically designed to create a therapeutic and relaxing environment. What’s exciting about creating an at-home spa is having the opportunity to customize it to suit your personal needs and desires. That might include installing a certain tub style, the use of certain fragrances, the inclusion of a showerhead, and a focus on lighting and color scheme.
As you plan for your at-home spa, it’s important that you focus on the theme you want it to present. It’s the theme that’s going to drive some of the key decorative decisions you are going to need to make.
The design will also be dictated by the space you have available. That will play a role in determining what kind of tub you’ll have installed. Make no mistake about it, the tub or tub enclosure with shower will be the centerpiece of the spa.
Once you have the design and complete the creation process, the remaining steps will focus on creating a relaxing environment in which you can spoil yourself. Here are a few things you might want to think about in terms of creating the right environment.
1. Lighting – There are several ways you can address the lighting situation. For instance, natural lighting from the stars might be the right call if you have a skylight in the room. Otherwise, you might want to go with dimmable color lighting or stick with the use of traditional candlelight.
2. Fragrances – Smelling is a very powerful sense. With that in mind, some fragrances can contribute to creating a relaxing environment. Fragrances worth considering for your at-home spa would include lavender, sandalwood, cedar, Roman chamomile, and vetiver. Vanilla also works nicely, but it might ignite your appetite. BTW: A few strategically placed scented candles can satisfy your desire for the perfect ambiance via the right lighting and fragrances.
3. Music – The last piece of the ambiance puzzle would be sounds. When it comes to music, you know what kind of music soothes your soul. There is nothing wrong with having a quality sound system in your spa so you can relax to your favorite tunes while you soak your troubles away.
4. Skin Care – Whether you are a man or a woman, you owe it to yourself to do everything you can to treat your skin right. A spa environment is exactly the right environment to address beauty and skincare issues. If you want to do what the professionals do, you can pamper your body with beauty and skincare products that will leave you looking younger.
Again, the bathtub will be the focal point of your at-home spa. Since that is where you will be relaxing, there are certain products and supplies that you might want while bathing. As you make your selections, you’ll want to focus on using products that are natural and safe. Here is a list of general items you might want to include:
● Scented natural soaps
● Fragranced bath oils and or bubble bath
● A body wash product
● Bathing sponges, wash clothes, and or body scrubbers
● Shampoo and hair conditioner
● Quality skincare products
There are a few things you can do to make sure your at-home spa experience makes the grade. Here are a few prep tips that can help put your experience over the top:
● Make sure the bathroom and or tub are sparkling clean
● Check the lighting before you start
● Plan ahead so you can secure the right beauty and skincare products
● Pick times when you and perhaps a partner will have peace and quiet
Remember this: Once you have experienced an at-home spa experience, regular bathing will never be the same.
Written by Taylor McKnight, Author for Couture Med Spa